Thursday, July 10, 2008

Ole Blighty - Trip to London Town


One of the good things about not working is that I get to travel with Dean. So - when he asked me if I wanted to go to London with him for a week, of course I said YES! I'm not going to pass up the chance to see my sister, Paula. (she's been living there for 8 years now)
Beside the fact that I'm understood over there, I discovered that they now have my favourite bread - VOGELS (so much better than the sweet bread in the States) I managed to sneak two loaves back with me...

Dean and Paula were working during the day, so I took myself off to a couple of museums for a few hours - something I never really got around to doing whilst on my OE - 20 years ago (ouch!)

The British Museum was fantastic - complete with the Elgin Marble series - stolen bits from the Parthenon and other greek ruins which are now under dispute about who owns them.

I also visited the Victoria and Albert museum which had the best museum shop ever! One of the most intriguing displays was the plaster/wax casts taken of ancient buildings and monuments. Bizzare. They also had a Chihuly glass sculpture and the most breath-taking exhibit of jewellery throughout the ages...mmmmm...bling....

Dean and I visited the Imperial War Museum and saw a great exhibit about Ian Fleming - the author of the James Bond series. Learnt alot about him and his life and how it influenced his work. Also visited the very harrowing Holocaust display.
After all that war and grimness, it was only right that we celebrated life by downing a cider or two in the glorious english sunshine - ah..that's what I remembered about living in London - A pint and a plate of chips. Cheers!

I also managed to catch up with my lovely friends, The Joyces. Simone, Andy and their wee family are visiting from NZ and were en route to Spain with Andy's family to celebrate his big 4-0. I spent the day with them touring London on a double-decker bus and we also visited the Tower of London.
We were lucky enough to be at Buckingham Palace at the right time to see the Changing of the Guard. Loved all that gorgeous English pagentry and tradition.
London is only 8hrs away so I'm hoping to get back there more often and spend time with my sister! (That is if I don't get a job anytime soon!!)

No comments: