Sunday, February 24, 2008

Sisters doin it for themselves!

I've just spent a great week with my sister, Paula. She's my FIRST visitor to see me in the States (and not the last I hope!) Her impression of Coral Springs? 'Like something out of the Stepford Wives' Yep - she pretty much hit the nail on the head with that description!

Dean is a total romantic and gave me a sat-nav system for Valentines Day so that I wouldn't get lost driving Paula around. It totally came in handy - 'specially when I had to navigate back home from Miami airport by myself. Gotta love my geek man!

We visited a Seminole Indian Reservation and took an airboat ride in the swamp. Saw Alligators (big ones and little ones) wild pigs, an emu, buffalo, beautiful swamp birds, fish and tortoises - and a couple of red-necks.




We also spent a day in Fort Lauderdale where we saw a fascinating exhibition called 'Bodies'. Real humans that have "died from natural causes" (and they all come from China, how weird is that?!) These bodies are then processed in a way that plasticises all the tissue and renders them as real life 'specimens'. They are then dissected to show their innards - organs, blood vessels, muscles, everything!

How the body works is just amazing and I recommend that if you get the chance, go see it!http://www.bodiestheexhibition.com/intro.html


Ft Lauderdale has some of the most amazing mansions on the Intracoastal Waterway, so we took a river cruise to check them all out. Just so happens that's where I wanna live...

Of course Peebs and I went shopping - spent about 6 hrs in the mall at Boca Raton, and then spent another day at the Sawgrass Mills outlet mall - Florida's largest outlet centre (340+ shops!!)

We spent Paula's last day hanging out in South Beach, Miami. We managed to get blitzed on the biggest cocktails I've ever seen, go shopping and Peebs even managed to get a swim in the sea before heading home to freezing ole London.
Now that I know all the spots to take visitors to (and I won't get lost either!) make sure you start planning your trip to visit us - it'll be fun, I promise...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You didn't mentioned the drinking by your pool, the bagel breakfast bar, the Louis Armstrong lookalike.....
Paula x